Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

How to Begin

I am very lucky to do the work that I do. I love the adventure and a chance to let your imagination run free. Last spring I was commissioned to create a sculpture that would play music.
It was great timing for me as I had been perfecting my technique for constructin my rocketships. The rocketships are meticulously covered with metal plates and nails creating a look similar to old shipbuilding.

It is extremely time consuming and surprisingly full of geometric and origami challenges.
After several rounds of sketches and some initial constructing I decided to change course.
I began making my own shapes and combing it with my metal technique. The process slowed down considerably as I navigated my way through this new process. Spring turn to summer, summer to fall and I did not complete the work until three days before the deadline for Spectrum 19.
Yes I completely went over budget, and yes I made LOTS of missteps but most important I was playing.
I felt like I was nine years old again spending  hours working on a model or complicated puzzle.
And when people see "Tank" for the first time they are amazed at the detail. All those nails and tiny bits of steel. But when I lower the Nash hood ornament on his chest and show them where you put your ipod - their jaws hit the floor. And then there is the music.

I can't wait to make the next one.

1 comment: